This Association shall be known as the KAPUSKASING MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATION, hereinafter referred to as K.M.H.A.
The purpose of K.M.H.A. shall be to foster, promote, and improve minor hockey in the Town of Kapuskasing, in accordance with the standards and playing rules prescribed by the Canadian Hockey Association as amended by the board of directors of K.M.H.A.
Membership in K.M.H.A. shall be limited to the following:
(1) All parents (one mother and one father) of players who participated through registration in K.M.H.A. teams during the current year;
(2) All directors of K.M.H.A. who have been directors during the current year;
(3) All coaches, managers, and trainers officially recognized as part of a K.M.H.A. participating team during the current year;
(4) All recognized sponsors of participating K.M.H.A. teams during the current year;
(5) All officials (referees, linesmen and timekeepers) who were recognized as Officials for K.M.H.A. during the current year.
(6) The Administrative Coordinator
(1) To be eligible to vote at any meeting of K.M.H.A., including the Annual Meeting and any General Meetings, all voters must be members of K.M.H.A. as described in ARTICLE III, and must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
(2) No member will be able to cast any more than one vote for each called for vote regardless of the number of active positions held during the current year.
(3) Only those eligible members in attendance at the Annual or any General meetings called shall be allowed to vote. Votes by proxy are not allowed.
(1) (a) K.M.H.A. shall hold an Annual Meeting on the last Monday of April each year, at a
time and place designated by the board of directors.
(b) The board of directors shall call a General Meeting upon receipt in writing,
signed by at least six (6) members of K.M.H.A.
(2) BUSINESS – The order of business for the Annual Meeting shall be:
(a) Reading of minutes of last meeting and adoption thereof;
(b) Business arising from the minutes;
(c) President’s report;
(d) Administrative Co-ordinator’s report (if applicable);
(e) Amendments to the Constitution;
(f ) Convenor reports;
(g) Treasurer’s report;
(h) Unfinished business;
(j) Status of Administrative Co-coordinator’s position;
(k) Election of Senior Executive and directors;
(I) General items and new business;
(3) NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEETING – Notice shall be published by the Secretary or Administrative Coordinator in all local media at least fourteen (14) days before the date of the Annual Meeting. The notice of meeting must advise that all proposed amendments to the Constitution must be in writing and received by the Secretary or Administrative Coordinator of K.M.H.A. at least seven (7) days before the date of the Annual Meeting.
(4) CHAIRPERSON – The President or in his/her absence the First Vice President of the board of directors shall act as Chairperson of all meetings of K.M.H.A. In the absence of both the President and the First Vice President, the members present shall choose another director as Chairperson and if no other director present, or if all the directors present decline to act as Chairperson, the members present shall choose one of their members to be Chairperson.
The board of directors of K.M.H.A. shall enforce the Constitution.
Amendments to the Constitution may only be made by a two – thirds majority vote of eligible members present at the Annual Meeting of K.M.H.A. and shall only be considered
If they have been delivered to the Secretary or Administrative Coordinator of K.M.H.A. at least seven (7) days prior to the date of the Annual Meeting.
(1) Schedule “A” attached known as “K.M.H.A. RULES” are hereby officially recognized.
(2) K.M.H.A. RULES may be amended by a simple majority vote of the members of the board of directors of K.M.H.A.
(3) The document known as “K.M.H.A. RULES” shall be made available in both official languages.
(1) The affairs of K.M.H.A. shall be managed by a board of directors consisting of the following elected positions: the President; First Vice President; Second Vice President; Secretary (if applicable); five (5) directors, and the following appointed positions: the immediate Past President; the Treasurer; the Administrative Co-coordinator (if applicable); and up to five (5) additional directors to be appointed by the incoming board for a maximum total membership of sixteen (16).
ARTICLE IX – DIRECTORS – continued
(2) SENIOR EXECUTIVE – The Senior Executive shall consist of the President, Past President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, and the Secretary (if applicable)
(3) QUALIFICATIONS OF DIRECTORS – Any member of K.M.H.A. as defined in ARTICLE III shall be eligible for membership to the board of directors of K.M.H.A.
(4) QUALIFICATIONS OF SENIOR EXECUTIVE (Other than President) – In order for an individual to serve a term as First Vice President, Second Vice President, or Secretary (if applicable):
(5) QUALIFICATION OF PRESIDENT – In order for an individual to serve a term as President of K.M.H.A.:
(6) TERM OF OFFICE – All elected members of the board of directors shall be elected for a term of one (1) year at the Annual Meeting of K.M.H.A. All appointed positions shall be for a one (1) year term.
(7) ELECTIONS – Directors shall be elected by the eligible voters at the Annual Meeting of K.M.H.A. by a show of hands, unless a written ballot is demanded. In such case, the election shall be by ballot.
(8) RE-ELECTION – Retiring directors shall be eligible for re-election to the board of directors.
(9) ORDER OF ELECTIONS – The order of elections shall be as follows:
2. First Vice President;
3. Second Vice President;
4. Secretary (if applicable);
5. Directors (5 to be elected)
(10) VACANCIES – (a) Any vacancies within the board of directors may, as long as there is a quorum of directors then in office, be filled by the directors from among the qualified members of K.M.H.A. if they see fit to do so, otherwise, such vacancies shall be filled at the next Annual Meeting of K.M.H.A. (b) In the event a vacancy occurs within the senior executive, (First Vice President, Second Vice President, or Secretary (if applicable)) the board shall appoint a director to complete the term of office.
(11) REMOVAL / SUSPENSION OF DIRECTORS – (a) The members of K.M.H.A. by a special resolution, may remove by a two – thirds majority of votes cast at any such meeting of K.M.H.A., any director before the expiration of his/her term of office and may elect any eligible person in his/her stead for the remainder of his/her term.
(b) K.M.H.A. may, upon a two – thirds majority vote of the eligible members present at an Annual Meeting, or any meeting of K.M.H.A. suspend any member of the board of directors whose acts or conduct are considered unfit to be associated with K.M.H.A. in youth activities. Such suspension may be for such period as a two-thirds majority of the eligible membership by vote prescribes. In consideration of a motion to suspend any member of the board of directors, the member who is under consideration shall be given the opportunity to answer any charges made against him/her. The vote on the question shall be by secret ballot.
(c) In the event a director shall without good cause, fail to attend three (3) consecutive meetings (executive, general, and/or annual) he/she shall be deemed to have retired from office.
(12) REMUNERATION OF DIRECTORS – The directors of K.M.H.A. shall serve without remuneration, and no director shall directly or indirectly receive any profit from his/her position as such. A director may be paid pre-authorized reasonable expenses incurred by him/her in the performance of his/her duties.
(13) MEETINGS – Meetings of the board of directors of K.M.H.A. shall be held monthly, or, at such time and frequency as the board may determine. The President, or Vice Presidents, or any two (2) directors, provided the prescribed notice of meeting has been delivered may convene a meeting of the board of directors of K.M.H.A. at any time.
(14) NOTICE OF MEETINGS – Notice of any meeting of the board of directors shall be delivered, mailed or telephoned to each director not less than two (2) days before the meeting is to take place, provided always that a meeting of the board of directors may be held at any time without formal notice if all the directors and officers are present, or those absent have waived notice or have signified their consent in writing to the meeting being held in their absence.
(15) QUORUM – A quorum at any meeting of the board of directors of K.M.H.A. shall be fifty percent (50%) of the sitting members of the board.
(16) VOTING OF THE DIRECTORS – Questions arising at any time during a meeting of the board of directors shall be decided by a simple majority of votes cast by those present. Only in the event of a tie shall the President vote.
(17) COMMITTEES and CONVENORS – The board of directors, from its ranks, may appoint the following committees and convenors:
(a) Publicity Committee
(b) Tournaments and Playoffs Committee
(c) Hockey and/or Skating Schools Committee
(d) Sponsorship Committee
(e) Discipline Committee
(f) Ice Captain
(g) Referee Convenor
(h) Timekeeper Convenor
(i) League convenors (Initiation 1,2,3; Atom; Pee Wee; Bantam; All Star)
The directors may appoint from the membership of K.M.H.A. such other committees as they deem desirable to perform duties not herein specifically charged to some other individual or committee.
(18) DUTIES OF DIRECTORS – The directors shall be responsible for:
(1) Registration of players;
(2) Scheduling of games;
(3) Arranging for playing areas;
(4) Appointing coaches, and;
(5) All other matters as may be required,
(19) Any two (2) of three (3) namely the President, First Vice President or Administrative Co-coordinator (if applicable) and the Treasurer shall be signing authorities for all bank accounts in the name of K.M.H.A.
(20) The President of K.M.H.A. shall hold no other position within K.M.H.A. so that in all cases he may remain impartial.
Be it enacted and it is hereby enacted as an article of the Constitution of Kapuskasing Minor Hockey Association (hereinafter called the “Corporation”) as follows:
1. Every director or officer of the Corporation or other person who has undertaken or is about to undertake any liability on behalf of the Corporation and their heirs, executors and administrators, and estate and effects, respectively, shall from time to time and all times, be indemnified and saved harmless, out of the funds of the Corporation, from and against:
(a) All costs, charges and expenses whatsoever which such director, officer or other person sustains or incurs in or about any action, suit or preceding which is brought, commenced or prosecuted against him for or in respect of any act, deed, matter or thing whatsoever made done or permitted by him in or about the execution of the duties of his office or in respect of any such liability; and
(b) All other costs, charges, and expenses which he sustains or incurs in or about or in relation to the affairs thereof, except such costs, charges, or expenses as occasioned by own willful neglect or default.
No director or officer for the time being of the Corporation shall be liable for the acts, receipts, neglects, or defaults of any other director or officer or employee or for joining in any receipt of act of conformity or for any loss, damage or expense happening to the Corporation through the insufficiency or deficiency of title to any property acquired by order of the Board of Directors for or on behalf of the Corporation or for the insufficiency or deficiency of any security in or upon which any of the moneys of or belonging to the Corporation shall be placed out or invested or for any loss or damage arising from the
bankruptcy, insolvency or tortious act of any person, firm or corporation with who or which any moneys, securities or effects shall be lodged or deposited or for any other loss damage or misfortune whatever may happen in the execution or supposed execution of the duties of his respective office or trustor in relations thereto unless the same shall happen by or through his own willful act or his own willful default.
At the discretion of the board of directors of K.M.H.A. and in consultation with the parents and coaches concerned, a player may be moved up or down in classification depending on the player’s ability not his age. A notice is to be posted at Registration advising parents and others concerned about this article.
(1) The board of directors of K.M.H.A. will cause to be formed “REP TEAMS”.
ARTICLE XIII - APPOINTMENT OF COACHES
(1) The Secretary or Administrative Coordinator of K.M.H.A. is to make all the necessary arrangements for advertising for coaching positions in K.M.H.A.
(a) HOUSE LEAGUE - K.M.H.A. is to advertise as the board of directors or appointed committee decides on a yearly basis. The board of directors or committee should consider advertising for two (2) weeks each August for the coaches that are needed. Prospective coaches must apply to the Secretary or Administrative Coordinator of K.M.H.A.
(b) REP TEAMS (except Midget AAA) - K.M.H.A. is to advertise for two (2) weeks in February each year for Rep Team coaches. Prospective coaches must apply to the Secretary or Administrative Coordinator of K.M.H.A. for their respective teams. Applications must include all training qualifications as well as experience. The selection of respective team coaches and the announcement of these coaches will be made by the board of directors of K.M.H.A. by March 15 of that year. The board may give a team to a coach for more than one hockey season to develop more of a system with their players. Spring tryouts will be held in April every year.
(c) MIDGET AAA - The coach of the Midget AAA team will be selected by the board of directors of the Midget AAA team. The coach's name will be submitted to the board of directors of K.M.H.A. each year for final approval.
ARTICLE XIV - DISCIPLINE
The President or his appointee may temporarily suspend any player, coach, manager, trainer, referee or timekeeper participating in any division administered by K.M.H.A. for acts or conduct deemed by him/her to be detrimental to K.M.H.A. The suspension shall immediately be considered at a meeting of the Discipline Committee of the board of directors. This meeting shall take place within seven (7) days of the beginning of said suspension.
(1) K.M.H.A. shall decide annually to authorize the board of directors to employ an “Administrative Co-coordinator” to deal with the day-to-day operations of the Association.
(2) In the event K.M.H.A. agrees to the employment of an Administrative Co-coordinator, this person shall for all intents and purposes replace the position of Secretary.
(3) The Administrative Co-coordinator shall not be entitled to vote on any issues brought to any meeting of the board of directors, but shall retain voting privileges at any meetings of K.M.H.A.
(4) The Administrative Co-coordinator shall act as a signing authority along with the President and the Treasurer on all accounts of K.M.H.A.
(5) Remuneration for the Administrative Co-coordinator shall be negotiated by the President and shall be approved by the board of directors.
(6) The duties of the Administrative Co-coordinator shall be those listed in the attached job description for the Administrative Co-coordinator.
(7) In the event K.M.H.A. decides not to employ an Administrative Co-coordinator, this Article XV shall not be in effect for that year, but shall remain part of the Kapuskasing Minor Hockey Association Constitution.
(1) Upon dissolution of the Corporation and after the payment of all debts and liabilities,
remaining property of the Corporation shall be distributed or disposed of to another
organization or to other organizations with objects similar to those of this
Corporation, the said organizations to be determined by the Corporation at the time
(2) The said organizations be the Kapuskasing Women’s Hockey Association (being the girls` hockey association), Kapuskasing Ringette Association, and the Kapuskasing Figure Skating Club.
Constitution as amended May 3rd, 1999
Constitution as at May 1st, 2000
Total re-write of Constitution
Constitution as amended May 2001
Article V (1) – date of meeting changed to last Monday in April
Constitution as amended April 29th, 2002
Article V (2) – Inclusion of Administrative Co-coordinator
Article IX (1) – Removal of Third Vice President, municipal appointee and the inclusion of Administrative Co-coordinator and fifth appointed director
Article IX (2) – Removal of Third Vice President, and inclusion of words “if applicable”
Article IX (4) – Removal of Third Vice President, and inclusion of words “if applicable”
Article IX (10) – Addition of words “if applicable” to item 4
Article IX (20) – Addition of words “or Administrative Co-coordinator” after First Vice President
Article XV – Inclusion of entire article including Job Description as part of the Constitution.
Constitution as amended April 25th, 2005
Article IX (4) – Amend to read “1 (one) year”
Article IX (6) – Remove Section 6 entirely and renumber all preceding sections as required.
Article IX (10) – Name first sentence “(a)” and add sentence (b).
Constitution as amended April 27th, 2009`
Article XII Title – Replace words “All Star Teams” with the words “REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS (REP TEAMS)”
Article XII (1) – Replace words “All Star teams” with the words “Rep Teams”
Article XIII (1) (a) Replace Sentence with the following: “K.M.H.A. is to advertise as the board of directors or appointed committee decides on a yearly basis. The board of directors or committee should consider advertising for two (2) weeks each August for the coaches that are needed. Prospective coaches must apply to the Secretary of K.M.H.A.”
Article XIII (1) (b) – Replace words “All Star teams” with the words “Rep Teams”
Article XVI – New article re: dissolution
Constitution as amended April 26th, 2010
Article III – Add (6) The Administrative Coordinator
Article V (3) Replace words “secretary or the treasurer” with the words “secretary or Administrative Coordinator”
Article VII – Add the words “or Administrative Coordinator”
Article IX (4) – Delete all words after “(if applicable)” and add:
Article IX (5) Delete all words after “President of K.M.H.A. and add:
Article XIII(1) – Delete the words “Treasurer of K.M.H.A.” and replace with “Secretary or Administrative
Article XIII (1) (a) – Add the words “or Administrative Coordinator” after the word “secretary”
Article XIII (1) (b) – Change the word “May” to “April”
Article XIII (1) (b) – Add the words “or Administrative Coordinator” after the word “secretary”
KAPUSKASING MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATION